Astronomy Merit Badge
BSA-Astronomy Merit Badge Workshop
Saturday 11-18-17 and 2-24-18
U-46 Planetarium 312 Watch St. Elgin, IL (847) 888-5324
Hosted by: Peggy Hernandez, Elgin School District U-46 Planetarium Teacher and registered merit badge counselor
Click here for available Scout Programs at the Planetarium:
Click here for the Merit Badge Announcement & Instructions:
Click here for the Merit Badge Packet:
Click here for the BSA Merit Badge Worksheet:
Click here for Astronomy Merit Badge Guide:
Click here for the BSA Astronomy Merit Badge Book:
Click here for general info:
Pre-requisites (Homework to do before coming to class):
In Part #1, #6a, #5a(1st column only), #5b, and #1 a-c (except Sun observing safety) must be completed either at home, troop meeting. If done on-site (with an accompanying adult) arrive at 7:15am to be ready for the 8am start time.
A 7:15am arrival required for attendees to complete the specific parts of the packet listed below IF NOT DONE BEFORE ARRIVAL. These must be completed for an 8am start time. Early arrivals MUST be accompanied by a parent or leader. For the rest of the session, 1 adult per 3-5 scouts recommended.
Overview: • Free parking is available at the corner of Raymond St. and National St, one block away. Drop-offs can be done in front of the building, but Watch St. is no parking and I do not have my own lot. Please do not park in the Heritage Manor parking lot.
• The packet is taken exactly from the Boy Scout requirements, but re-ordered for this particular workshop. It is available at www.u-46.org under departments and programs, student learning, observatory/ planetarium, and then group/class reservations. Please print it out, answer the prerequisite questions listed above in bold and bring it with you. Suggested websites (if needed) are included in the packet.
• Bring a blue card with you to get it signed at the end. The last half hour is for checking packets and card signing. Ms. Hernandez does not supply blue cards or badges.
• We will spend most of the session in the planetarium, but we will go upstairs (for about a half hour) to the observatory for specific questions. There is no heat or air conditioning in the observatory dome, so dress accordingly.
• A bottle of water and a snack will be offered to each participant during a break. You may also bring your own snack. Please no cans or open cups for liquids. There is no refrigerator available.
• The building is handicapped accessible and the program is accommodating. Please call for details or if you have any questions or concerns.
• The fee is $10.00 per scout. Please have a scout leader or attending parent collect for group and pay upon arrival at the door. The workshop is limited to 20 participants.
• Registration is by phone (847 888-5324) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and is required to reserve a spot. Due to the popularity of merit badge session, space is reserved for boy scouts earning their badge only (and parents/leaders as appropriate).
• The U-46 planetarium offers scout sessions for younger scouts that are highly recommended before your merit badge session, as well as occasional family friendly public shows. Check the U-46 website for upcoming dates/times.